Owners should pre-export test camelids using the comparative skin test as required by international legislation. Where serology is required in addition to the skin test this will need to be performed within 30 days of the date of export. We would strongly recommend that blood samples are taken 10 days after the skin test to enable the test to benefit from boosting with tuberculin. Obviously careful planning will be required to ensure that there is sufficient time for the samples to be processed prior to the export date.
- Owners veterinary surgeon contacts Surefarm to notify requirement to test – click here for detail on how to apply and the rules governing the scheme
- Blood testing is performed – click here for the required sampling protocol
- Samples despatched for testing using the Enferplex test
- Results are analysed using the statistical package and reported to the owners veterinary surgeon. In reality given in this scenario there is only likely to be small numbers of animals being tested, any positive result is likely to be seen as significant.
What is the process following outcome of testing
- All test results negative: No action other than to schedule next test
- If any animals are found test positive then the export cannot proceed and either: –
(a) Where the results are defined as true positives at the confidence level agreed with Defra on the statistical package, then Surefarm to pass details to APHA. The clients veterinary surgeon will be informed to notify their local APHA office. This APHA office will decide on appropriate actions on the test positive animals, based on the herd’s location, biosecurity and TB testing history.
(b) If inconclusive1, there should isolation of the inconclusive animals and a re-test performed within 30 days of the original test. The animal however will be determined as potentially positive for the purposes of export and we will notify Defra as such. ANY POSITIVE ANIMAL, even if classified as inconclusive, must NOT BE EXPORTED. If boosting did not occur at the disclosing test again we would fully recommend that prior to the retest that these inconclusive animals are tuberculin boosted. If all these animals are negative on re-testing, then the herd is considered clear and the herd would revert to routine annual surveillance testing. If any positives are found on the antibody re-test, then Surefarm to pass details to APHA and the clients veterinary surgeon will notify their local APHA office. This APHA office will decide on appropriate actions on the test positive animals, based on the herd’s location, biosecurity and TB testing history.
1 As in the vast majority of cases the number of animals will be relatively small and, as such, the ability to be confident to the level the statistics require that any positives are true positives cannot be attained, then where two-antigen positives are found during screening in small sample sizes, the initial requirement will be to immediately re-test rather than disease be notified to DEFRA